I'm sure you're all looking forward to a well-deserved break from studying for finals and writing all those papers, reports and projects. But after the holiday festivities have died down a bit, you might want to consider a doing a few simple things that will put you in a better position to embark upon your internship or job search next spring.
1. Create a profile on LinkedIn, invite people into your network and join professional groups there.
2. Conduct informational interviews with professionals in your field. Winter break is a great time to do this because you don't have the pressure of homework and exams to deal with.
3. Write your resume or update one that you already have. Have it reviewed by a career counselor at your school when you go back.
4. Search for internships or jobs on sites such as SimplyHired.com and Indeed.com to get a feel for what kinds of positions are out there and what kinds of skills they are looking for. Are there any skills you need to work on?
5. Write a cover letter for a real internship or job and have it reviewed by your career counselor when you go back to school.
6. Relax and have some fun!